Wednesday 22 October 2014

Value Patterning an Ashley Wood's character design in the style of DOTA 2


Here is my first step into creating one of Ashley Wood's characters into a DOTA 2 style. I've been using DOTA's visual style guide to help me create this first step in exploring DOTA's style.
With this I started with the value patterning making sure not to use any absolute whites or blacks and started establishing contrasting blocks of value to highlight the characters form.
I also added the value gradient to create more visual interest by having the upper parts of the character the lightest and the darkest towards the bottom of the character.
Doing this before adding colour will help to make sure the character is recognisable and the most important features draw the eye of the viewer which is why I intend to use this technique for my own designs in this project.  

The next step I will take with this painting will be adding more detail and colour to it taking information from DOTA's visual style guide and create the colour schemes to help me with colouring this character.

No comments:

Post a Comment