Monday 8 December 2014

Presentation


I've decided to blog my presentation that we had to do for class, I choose to talk about the animation studio Pixar. 
Originally Pixar started out as a division of Lucas Film in 1979, was then bought by Steve Jobs in 1986 and renamed it Pixar. Then finally bought by Disney in 2006. 
working as an artist within Pixar, they create hundreds and hundreds of drawings within the first two years of preproduction of a film. For character design, the artists are given script pages that give a description on a character and the artist will create a variety of sketches. A fun fact is that for the character Roz from Monsters Inc, only took one sketch, the artist thought of one perfect design for her and the director loved it. 
Pixar also love to do their research for their films and often take their art department on trips so they can get a better visual on certain aspects that will be in the film. For example going to Scotland to sketch landscapes for Brave. Another fun fact is that when creating the film Finding Nemo, they originally wanted to take their art team inside a dead whale - it never actually happened, I think because they couldn't find a dead whale and at how uncomfortable the artists would be. 

I personally want to work in film as a Visual Development Artist and what attracted my to Pixar is there innovation with 3D film making. I couldn't find any specific information on artists jobs in their website but found some points on Visual Development Artist jobs in other companies such as:

"Show a portfolio that demonstrates a wide range of experience and technique with strong sense of composition, design, colour theory and story telling." 

Within university I've started to choose my modules to what will help me create a better understanding in visual development and also help me to create a stronger portfolio. Pixar isn't my main goal either, I'm pretty much open and I'm also open to moving to different countries. 










No comments:

Post a Comment